Kaleidoscope
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

See the world through a different lens

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in    
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
World Information

World Name | Gambion
Period | Modern
Year | 2023
Season | Winter
Month | January

Upcoming Holiday:

World Event:
None

<News> Total layout overhaul!
Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 6:14 pm by bels
Total layout overhaul!
June - 2022

General information
My my my, here we are again. We apologize for the radio silence, but as life has been keeping both admins busy like bees, we are happy to finally write a small news update for you. Things are happening on our small site, and we …

Comments: 0
<News> Activity Check and In-Game News!
Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2021 5:00 pm by bels
Activity Check and In-Game News!
December - 2021

General information
It is time once again for some news. The year is coming to an end and what a year it has been! We've held our first world event, welcomed new and old players and seen as your creativity has sprung freely in the …

<News> End of Event - What’s Next?
Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2021 11:19 am by bels
What's Next?
September - 2021

General information
Wow, has it really been 5 months since our last news update? Well Summer has come and gone, and today we close up the world event that has been running since December of last year. But with the event ending we are now faced with the …

<News> Happy Easter and a Couple of Updates!
Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 12:35 pm by bels
Happy Easter and a Couple of Updates!
April - 2021

General information
First of all, happy easter for those who celebrate! Though we'll all be celebrating differently, we'd like to wish you a good time either way. 2021 has now had it's first three months, and as we are now entering …

<News> Finishing Off the Year & Upcoming World Event
Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 20, 2020 5:58 pm by bels
Finishing Off the Year & Upcoming World Event
December - 2020

General information
With the year of 2020 nearing its end, we thought it would be optimal to do a small round-up of how the year has been, what has happened and unveil some plans for the future. 2020 has for many been …

Stay out of it

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
Emily

Emily

Full name : Emmeline Jacobs
Quote : How can someone be cold as a corpse when they’re this hot?

Stay out of it  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyMon May 02, 2022 10:29 pm

What was his deal with making sure she held the lollipop? Her focus was directed at his answer. Maybe it was naive to expect the truth, but she wasnt sure she had believed him regardless of his answer. She held the lollipop mindlessly as he left, before Mortimer’s question startled her to a soft gasp and light jolt. “Yeah. Yes, he’s gone.” She sighed, putting the lollipop back before Mortimer would notice her standing with it. “You should call Mary. Make sure she’s getting lunch.” She said, unable to shake her thoughts, trying to anslyze the grunt’s behaviour. Though she probably shoumdnt. She’s never know what was going through his mind to make him beat up old men for money and walk rounds to bear up other people for money as well.
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

Full name : Rhys Kaine

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyMon May 02, 2022 10:56 pm

The notion of Mary made him frown, but nodding as he hurried out to the back to call for her. His daughter picked up, clearly worried, but she seemed to calm down as she found out her father was merely checking on her. He asked her to take the route straight back to the shop, just to forget about getting lunch today. Groaning at the other end she gave in, saying she wasn't far away either way. Hanging up, he returned to the shop, moving over to sit on the chair behind the disk, running a hand through his balding hair. He was stressed, but who wouldn't be if they had been in his shoes?
Mary soon enough returned, her package in hand as she looked from Emily to her father and back again. "Who was here while I was gone?" she asked, moving inside the store, flipping the sign to say that they were closed, locking the door before stepping closer to the two by the disk. "Are you alright?" asking Emily as Mortimer clearly wasn't.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 1:22 pm

Emily just focused on putting everything back in order as Mortimer went to call his daughter. She looked at the lollipop at the top of the jar and grit her teeth as she stuck a hand down to mix it around and hide it with the others. Why did he look so curious? She only now thought of how he had been looking at her the whole time. When Mary returned, the question made Emily shrug. “I dont know his name but the one that takes candy everytime.” She said.
Was Emily fine? Yeah, she would say. But she was also very worried. “I want to know what’s going on. I dont need the full story. But I want to know what I’m keeping him away from?” She said, looking from daughter to father. She thought she was being quite reasonable.
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 1:38 pm

"Mister Kaine," Mortimer said, sighing as he looked at his daughter with a saddened smile. Mary frowned, looking at him as he sat there on the chair, but then Emily decided to speak up and ask for some answers. The daughter remained quiet, placing her bag down, the packet with the dress inside. "Just tell her, dad," she sighed, shaking her head as she felt like this was stupid, and yet it was also serious. Mortimer hummed, "best not discuss it in the store .. Mary, open up and take care of the customers; Emily, follow me," he got up from the chair, his bones aching a bit, but it wasn't so strange with his age.
He moved out to the back, towards the small nook where Mary usually had her lunch break. Sitting down, he gestured for Emily to join him at the small table. It was a quite nice spot, a small window looking out at a smaller alley that many people passed by. "Now, what I'm about to say you must promise not to mention to anyone, alright?" he was old, but it was clear from his eyes that something haunted him. If she promised he would hum, leaning a bit back in his seat, the wooden chair creaking softly under his weight.
"I used to work for Mister Kaine's employer, now it wasn't a proud time in my life, I will admit, but not all of us start out with money in our pockets," he said. He went on to explain how he had been part of a network of criminals back in his youth. How he admitted to not having been a good person, doing things that was perceived as undeniably bad. "However, my life took a turn once I found out Carol, Mary's mother, was pregnant .. A switch in me flipped, and I wanted to change my way of life to make my two girls safe," he said, frowning as he was clearly still trying to make amends from everything. "Of course, my former employer didn't like that very much, but he agreed to grant me enough money to start a business - and as long as him and his men could come through with goods of all kinds, he would spare my family from being involved in anything more serious." Had it been a good deal at the time? Very much so, in fact he hadn't expected to get out of it alive. "But over the years I've been more and more reluctant to co-operate .. I'm not blind, I can see my daughter has blossomed in to a beautiful young woman, and with her mother gone," he stopped, taking a second to breathe and feel the grief sneak up on him, "well, I wouldn't want my daughter forced in to a mess I've made."
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 4:51 pm

Mister Kaine? She did remember him calling the grunt that before, but the way he said it was like the guy had some sort of authority. Mary pushed for Mortimer to tell her and it seemed that the shop owner gave in, humming as he told her to follow. Out in the back, it was rather quiet and maybe a little cozy with the window. He asked for secrecy and she simply nodded, agreeing to it. She couldnt see who would be that interested anyway. She listened to his story and simply hummed. He didnt sound like someone that had been a good person in the past. But would she say she was any better? Sure, they hadnt done the same things, but she could recognize changing yourself in some way.
"Do you think they'll force your deal on her as well?" she asked, crossing her arms a little as she thought about it. It would make sense, at least there would always be a cashflow to come collect. She was quiet for a bit, looking out the window. "So they'll let you off if you pay your debt?" she asked. It seemed almost too good to be true. "It doesnt seem likely. They'll always find some reason for you to owe them money."
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 6:45 pm

Telling all of this seemed to take some weight off of his shoulders a bit, but he also didn't like the fact that Emily was now in on it. Perhaps it would've been safer if she didn't know. If he had just dismissed her and told her to get out of here. But she seemed like a smart girl, and the fact that she had handled that brute on her own made him feel a bit better. He shrugged at her question. He couldn't know for sure, but his debt was pretty hefty.
"No matter how I twist and turn this, I'm never going to get out of this deal," he said with a slight sad smile. He had accepted this fate, he had no other choice, "that's why as of late I haven't been giving them the full amount," he had come clean to her, but now he wanted to unleash another secret to her. He leaned over the table, "I'm stashing some away for Mary .. In case things go south and she has to go away," he admitted. Though he wasn't proud of it, what other options did he truly have?
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 7:33 pm

It was a bit tragic, but somehow it was also his own doing. That was just the things that followed when you turned your life around. Emily hadnt chosen to end up where she had and yet she knew the only way to go was forward. "So that's why they keep coming." she muttered, humming and nodding, just as the old owner leaned forward. The confession made her frown slightly but then she smiled. "That's a really good idea." she commended him. But obviously it was probably something bound to happen at some point. "I wish I could do something to help.." she admitted, but she was just an outsider. And maybe it wasnt her mess to get entangled in in the first place. She just wanted to be a better person in her now second life.
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 7:41 pm

"You're doing plenty already," he commended her, sending her a reassuring smile. She had been a great help around the shop ever since he had hired her, and he didn't even have to pay her. "My daughter seems to enjoy having some help as well, and the way you handled him today, I guess I can only be grateful." Mortimer hadn't always been a good man, but it was so clear that he wanted to be. Sighing he got up from his seat, looking at the boxes that still needed fixing. He was lucky he was his own boss in this. Heading towards the store front once more he stopped briefly, "try not to agitate them when they're here .. Just go along with whatever they do and they'll leave you be." A fair warning if he did say so himself.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 8:18 pm

"I guess." she shrugged, maybe she was helping out a lot more than she thought. She frowned at the mention of him, sighing at the notion. "I didnt lie when I said I could use the experience though. So it's a win for the both of us." she chuckled. Mortimer got up and she watched him before he seemed to stop. The warning she wasnt sure was for her own benefit or not. He probably wouldnt say it if he knew her secret. But she also wondered if it was because he'd suffer if she misbehaved. Humming and nodding she got up as well to go help Mary.

Even if working a store was sort of mundane, it also still had that nice feeling of purpose. Some time had passed and she did wonder when the grunt or his goons would show up again. Mister Kaine. She would never call him that! Grunt fit way better in her mind. She had the closing shift this time around, having gained quite a lot of trust from both Mary and Mortimer. She thought they could use some time not having to spend all their time working. She was pretty good at this store handling stuff by now.
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 9:32 pm

While Mary took advantage of the newly found freedom, Mortimer always seemed more reluctant before finally caving in. He hadn't had a day off in years, so he was rightfully a little skeptical at first. However Emily was brilliant in what she did, and so far she had proven herself trustworthy. Mary however stopped by, wearing a very pretty dress and her hair put up with lovely small curls in her short hair. "Just came by to pick up my purse; I think I left it in the back room," she giggled, blushing a bit because she didn't normally look this dressed up. But she looked very happy. Going out back she grabbed her bag and right inside was her purse. Breathing out a small sigh of relief, she returned to the store. "How do I look? Not too much, right?" for a young woman who rarely did anything with her appearance besides putting her hair up in a ponytail, this was really something else.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 9:52 pm

Emily was sitting by the register, just filling up the candy and putting out a few things that were supposed to go on sale, looking up as the door bell rang. Seeing Mary in a whole get up was surprising but in a good way. Emily greeted her with a big smile and an expression of astonishment. "oh wow. Uh, yeah, the purse is back there in the cupboard. I figured you would come by." she said, noticing how happy she was. It was good. Mortimer should've seen how happy his daughter could really look, but Emily had promised to keep it a secret. The question made her shake her head profoundly. "No, no, it's very subtle but very pretty." she assured her. "You look really good. Is the date today?" she asked.
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 10:02 pm

She nodded, smiling happily that Emily seemed to approve, "yeah, I'm meeting her at the restaurant," she chuckled, looking around the store with a small hum. Everything looked really neat and tidy, just how she liked it. "I'm running late, hah, I'll see you Monday, alright?" chuckling as she waved goodbye and hurried out the door.
The next few hours were pretty standard for a Friday afternoon. A couple of kids coming in to buy candy bars or a sweet treat; An elderly couple looking for a specific type of pottery; And then there was this odd guy who kept circling the store outside. He looked a bit nervous, shivering a bit, but he eventually came in to the store, his face now covered by a mask. "G-g-gimme th-the m-mo-oney!" he stammered his way through the order, holding up a knife and a bag for said money.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 10:25 pm

She was quite happy for Mary and definitely hoped that it would be a great night for her tonight. "Have a nice night." she wished her, humming softly at the farewell. "Yeah definitely." she assured her before Mary was gone. She went around to do checkups, even making sure that the storage was organized and filled as well. Sitting by the register she hadnt expected the odd guy who seemed mostly like someone who wasnt getting anything. When he did go out, she leaned forward to look, just to make sure he was gone. When he was she leaned back away from the disk.
And then he returned with a mask and a weapon. He was stammering, holding out a bag that she was supposed to fill. "What? No." she objected, before she looked at the knife. He didnt look like he would really stab her. "Get out of here!" she said, nodding towards the exit. She would never give in to such terms. The store needed the money!
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 10:33 pm

No? He looked almost perplexed, clutching harder around his knife, seemingly trying to think of a comeback. However she then told him to get out and he shook his head, "j-just put it in t-the bag!" he yelled. That was when the bell rang, Rhys walking in to the store looking around with a calm gaze until he noticed the guy, raising an eyebrow. The tone of the guy shifted, now shivering like a leaf, eyeing Rhys out the corner of his eye. "No, please, go on," he said, gesturing with his hands to just let the guy do his thing, walking over to a section of nicely stacked old books. He hummed softly as if he was just browsing. The guy with the knife eyeing Rhys still before he just dropped what he had and ran out the store.
Rhys clicked his tongue, shaking his head a little before he went over to grab the knife. Shrugging he folded it up, putting it in his pocket before picking up the bag as well. "You got a recycling bin back there?" he asked as if he was genuinely someone who worried about the planet.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 10:59 pm

He didnt seem to be much of a thinker. Mostly just a meathead or maybe an addict looking for easy money. She didnt really want to aggravate him but it wasnt like she was giving in either. Someone entered and she looked his way. Oh great. Of all people, it was him. It seemed that it only made the robber more jittery and unstable. It seemed that he quickly gave up after that, or whatever reason he had to just run out, leaving behind the knife and bag as well. Mr. Kaine approached her and she looked as he picked up the knife. "You of all probably know. How many times have you been back there so far?" she replied, narrowing her eyes a little as she looked at him. "Mortimer isnt here. So you're wasting your time." she just downright said. If he was here to collect a payment, she wouldnt have access to it.
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 11:05 pm

Rhys chuckled softly at her snarky remark. He was starting to like her. Bad news for her, because he wasn't the type to just give up. He shrugged, but her next words made him scoff. "I didn't come here for the old man today .. It's my day off," he just said, walking behind the disk, placing the bag in the recycling bin. He gave her a short glance before moving back to the other side, looking through the trinkets on the counter. "I came to see you," he said point blank. He wasn't afraid to sound like a loser or anything. In reality most people judged him regardless, so there wasn't really any reason to prove himself. He picked up a smaller item, a little rose made out of metal nodding to himself as he rolled it between his fingers. "When do you get off work?"
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 11:18 pm

His day off? Then why was he here? She looked rather confused at him as he went to throw out the bag. Anyone else would have thrown it in general waste so was he just trying to behave? His reason for actually being here did surprise her and it showed on her expression as well. “You’re what?” She asked like she wasnt even sure she heard that right. He was always so touchy with everything around the disk. She wondered why?
“Uhh, and why should I tell you?” She asked before she looked at the time. She had a few hours left and then some cleaning to do before she could leave.
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 11:25 pm

Rhys chuckled, clearly unbothered by her confusion. He was perhaps being rather forward, and it may have seemed like it came out of the blue. The simple fact that she was responding and even asking him questions made him feel good. It was weird. He hadn't ever really hungered for someone to talk to, but with her it was different. She didn't look at him like he was a monster, though fair to say that she wasn't looking at him with adoration either. "I wanna take you on a date," he said, placing the metal rose down, eyeing her to see her reaction. Would she laugh? Perhaps ask him to leave? He couldn't see a positive outcome from this, and yet his curiosity was peaking with her. She was just so different. "Though, I don't really eat, so .. Perhaps a walk or something would be more appropriate?" he eyed the glass holder with sweets in it. It almost tickled in his fingers to get a handful. "Give me a couple of lollipops," he said, and before she could object he pulled out a bill of money, this time paying for it.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 11:42 pm

A date? She furrowed her brows, crossing her arms a little. Was he toying with her now? She didnt really seem like she was buying it, but she wasnt going to mock him either. Especially if he was just doing this as some sort of cruel joke. He made a suggestion for the date and she couldnt really believe that he was actually being serious. He eyed the the jar with sweets and she tilted her head, almost just waiting for him to take a handful on his own. He pulled out money and she again was just so surprised how he was so different from the mean guy she had seen the other times. She took the money and grabbed a handful of candy that she offered him. “Dont mock me.” She said in a flat yet serious tone.
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2022 11:50 pm

Taking the candies, he told her to just keep the change, putting the sweets in his pocket as always. However a frown appeared on his face as she told him not to mock her. "I'm not," he said, quite calmly breathing out in a small sigh before he shook his head. She was never going to believe him, was she? Oh well, maybe that was the best option for her anyways. And still he wondered. He grabbed a small nice trinket, moving it between his hands and holding it up to her face, "then I guess I'll have to take this trinket as collateral; Hold it hostage and only returned to you if you meet me at the park when you get off work," was he smiling? Yeah, he actually was. It was an odd feeling, but he welcomed it. Removing the trinket from her reach, he clicked his tongue, shaking his head a little, "see you later." Popping it in his inner pocket, he sent her a slight smile before leaving the store.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 04, 2022 12:04 am

She didnt want to keep the change but he seemed to insist. She just put the change in, wondering how she was going to explain that to Mortimer. As if the old store owner would ever believe her! The grunt grabbed a trinket and she looked at it as he held it up. “You’re crazy. Give that back!” She said, reaching out just to have him take it out of her reach. He didnt even know when her shift ended! She groaned and looked at him, a little defeated and confused and annoyed all at the same. And yet he smiled which caught her off guard, but so far everything he had done today was off guard! She sat back in the chair, leaning back and sighing, shaking her head. No, he definitely was messing with her.
And if that was the case it worked. She couldnt push it out of her mind as she continued her shift, even when it was coming to an end. Closing the store and making sure everything was away for the weekend, she took off her shirt and put it away. Taking off the turtleneck as well, she changed into proper clothes, but as always something that would hide her neck. Placing her work clothes in a shoulder bag, she put the money where Mortimer had told her to, locking up everything. Locking the front and standing there outside she looked inside. She might as well go and see if he was there. If he wasnt then she at least could go home, maybe get something to eat.
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 04, 2022 12:10 am

Rhys was laying on one of the benches at the park, toying a bit with the trinket he had taken. He wasn't looking to break it, but he was always a bit fidgety. Perhaps it came from the fact he had a lot of energy, or perhaps it was just something that he did to distract his mind from the people avoiding him even now as he was laying relaxed on the bench. Turning his head, he looked out at the small pond, a few ducklings following their mother duck around the water. He wasn't sure how to feel about animals like that. Though he had to admit it was a bit calming. Looking at his wrist watch he hummed to himself. The store had closed, he knew that much, but he was going to give her a few minutes before he would just head home.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 04, 2022 12:22 am

She eventually got to the park, standing for a bit, just looking in. She could go in, go a round and then go home. There was no way that he was actually here! And she felt stupid for even doing it. He would so use it against her the next time he’d come by to bash Mortimer around for cash. And yet one foot went in front of the other, she went in and began walking her round. For a moment she was like: this is just as expected. He really wouldnt be here. She was being naive and dumb. And then she saw him, laying there on the bench. “Oh wow..” she muttered, unsure if she somehow was impressed or displeased. “You’re actually here.”
Back to top Go down
Rhys

Rhys

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 04, 2022 12:28 am

Rhys looked up at the young woman he had practically harassed to come here. He moved to sit up, tilting his head to the side, "you think I'm a liar?" he asked, curious as to what reason she would have not to believe him. Well besides the obvious fact that he was an untrustworthy thug. He got up from his seat, holding the trinket up to her face, "your job must mean a lot to you if you're here for this silly thing," once more snatching it away to put it in his pocket. Instead he nodded, wanting her to follow down the path, walking beside her in a nice and calm pace.
"What's your name?" he asked, curious because he couldn't keep calling her the weird girl in his head. Or rather, he could, but that wouldn't be very fair. Sure, she was weird, but not that weird in his opinion, and he had met quite a few people in his lifetime. "I'm Rhys," he just stated.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 04, 2022 2:17 am

“You said so yourself. Never to trust you? You’re a liar?” She reminded him. So what else was she supposed to believe? Though she wouldnt say that she really thought he was a liar. Maybe it was just some tough act he put up for whatever reason; he was a thug after all.
“I’m an intern. It’s not like they can afford to have me when someone is taking their money.” She said, maybe sounding a little judgemental, looking at the trinket. He nodded and she was reluctant for a second; but then remembered that she had come all this way. So she went, walking beside him, holding onto her bag. “Emily.” She just said, though she could give him a random name.
He said his and she frowned lightly. “Interesting name. Rhys.” She said, though then she shook her head. “Is it a nickname?”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of it    Stay out of it  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Stay out of it
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next